Jun 14, 2005

Chicken Curry

Curry is not a flavor I grew up with. I have received catalogs from Penzey's Spices for some time now and have always been fascinated with their wide array of curry powders. The curiosity got the best of me and I finally ordered their Sweet Curry Powder. After some searching and comparing recipes on-line I finally came up with a recipe that I felt would please my family while introducing us to a new flavor adventure. I was very pleased with the result! If you haven't tried curry before I would highly suggest trying this recipe. The flavor is complex... sweet and spicy and very, very good.

Chicken Curry

1 1/2 lb. cooked chicken breast cubes
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, minced
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
canola oil
salt
pepper
1/2 Tbsp Penzey's Sweet Curry Powder
2 Tbsp. flour

Saute apple, onion and celery in a little oil with curry powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk flour into broth then add to pan. Simmer until thickened then add chicken. Heat through. Serve over rice (preferable Basmati rice) with your choice of toppings.

Traditional topping choices for curry are: raisins, pineapple tidbits, toasted coconut, plain yogurt, toasted almonds, sliced scallions, chopped peanuts and bacon bits.


No comments: