Jun 1, 2005

Newsletter Issue #1 - January 2006

Hi Friends,

Happy New Year! I’m really excited to start off 2006 by sending you the very first issue of my newsletter. I thought it would be a nice idea to keep in touch with my readers on a regular basis and share some things I have not had the opportunity to blog about. I hope to provide you with some helpful information that will keep your meal times exciting while also helping you stick to your budget when you do your grocery shopping. I know that is always a challenge for me! So grab a cup of coffee, relax and enjoy!

In case you’ve missed any recent blog posts here’s a highlight of some that I think you'll enjoy…

* An awesome recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins
http://chefmichele.blogspot.com/2005/12/sweet-potato-muffins.html

* Announcing my new weekly Guest Blogging Event
http://chefmichele.blogspot.com/2005/12/announcing-weekly-guest-bloggers-event.html

* My first attempt at making Risotto
http://chefmichele.blogspot.com/2005/12/risotto.html

The holidays were a very busy time around our house. I was glad to find any way I could to save time and be able to enjoy my family. One of the best time savers for us this year was ordering our groceries. I don’t know if you have ever had the opportunity to do your grocery shopping on-line, but I have done so for the past several months and I am absolutely hooked. If you have a Safeway near you (they are also known as Von’s)… you can get your grocery order delivered for free. Just thought I’d pass on a great deal!

Take a look --> http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-1879789-10310072

Speaking of saving, I don’t know about you, but I am always looking for helpful tips to save me time and money in the kitchen. One of my favorite ways to “make something from nothing” is to save my stale ends from loaves of bread! That probably sounds like an odd thing to do. But there is a good reason I do so. They are very useful for many things such as grinding into breadcrumbs (just process them in your food processor, put into Ziploc bags and store in the freezer). You can use your fresh bread crumbs for casserole toppings, meatloaf and breadcrumb cookies (I’ll share that recipe with you in the next issue).

I recently found a really great recipe that I had the chance to try over the holidays. I made this as part of our “Mexican Feast” on Christmas Eve, and let me tell you, I will never make chimichangas again, these are so much better!

Mexican Egg Rolls

(modified from a recipe found at Deetsa’s Diningroom - http://deetsasdiningroom.blogspot.com/)

2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
1 (15 ounce) can drained black beans
2 cups frozen white corn (unthawed)
1 chopped roasted red bell pepper
4 diced green onions
2 minced fresh garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
juice of ½ a lime
1 (16 ounce) package egg roll wraps
vegetable oil for frying

(makes 12-14)

1. Chop the chicken into small dices.
2. Mix all ingredients together .
3. Moisten the edges of an eggroll wrap and put approx 2 T filling in the middle .
4. Fold like you would an eggroll according to egg roll wrapper package directions.
5. Make sure the flap is sealed to keep the filling inside.
6. Heat oil to 350 degrees and cook just till golden browned.
7. Cut diagonally and serve with sour cream and salsa


I hope you enjoyed this issue of Chef Michele’s Newsletter! I’ll talk to you again next week. In the meantime… Happy Cooking!

Michele
Chef Michele’s Adventures – http://chefmichele.blogspot.com


P.S. I'd love to know what you though of this first issue of my newsletter. Please email me and let me know. If there's anything you liked, didn't like or would like me to add please let me know at chefmichele@gmail.com.



No comments: