Jun 12, 2005

Pie Crust 101

I grew up watching my Aunt Amy make pie crust by hand. It seemed like an intimidating process. When I found a recipe by Pillsbury I knew that I could now always have homemade pie crust for all my pies, this recipe is so easy. One thing I have added is that you can actually use any type or shortening, be it butter, margarine, lard or Crisco -- the crust comes out wonderful no matter what you choose.

Pie Crust

(for a one crust pie)
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. shortening (cold)
2 - 4 tbsp. ice water

(for a 2 crust pie)
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. shortening (cold)
5 - 7 tbsp. ice water

Put dry ingredients in a food processor, pulse for 30 seconds. Cut shortening into small pieces and distribute evenly over top of dry ingredients. Pulse for 15 - 20 seconds or until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Add liquid in a slow steady stream through chute as processor is running and dough holds together easily. Pat into a flat circle, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Roll out to use with any pie recipe.


No comments: