Jul 2, 2005

Deals and Dinner

The Safeway experience went well! Everything was delivered in a timely manner and there were even a couple freebies thrown in for the kids. I will be watching for coupons and ordering from them again as soon as I find a coupon for a free delivery. I did have to pick up a few things at our local market as well. There were several great deals there this weekend. I got three packages of margarine (the soft kind with two little tubs in a pack) for 50 cents each. Oscar Meyer hot dogs are normally around $4.25 per package and those were on sale for $2. I also got a family package of boneless skinless chicken breasts that was normally $14.50 for $5. That was a great deal!

Tonight for dinner we had spaghetti. I had planned to use a sauce I found on sale but my hubby insisted in Ragu so now I have an extra jar of sauce. I might just make a pizza for the kids next week. This is my recipe for pizza crust, it's really easy and good and you don't have to let it rise forever!

Pizza Crust

1 cup warm water
pinch sugar
1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Stir hot water, sugar and dry yeast until blended. Add oil, salt and flour. (I use a food processor). Stir until mixture forms a soft ball. Let rest 5 minutes. Roll out on a pizza stone or cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings. Bake 450* 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

I've really been trying to find a good source for organic foods. I know that the processed things we eat are not that good for us, but the prices of organic are just too high for our budget. I found a great website, Wellness Grocer which looks like it has some good prices. I plan to order some things in the near future. I also found a great source for imported foods with prices lower than many grocery stores - Parthenon.com. Lots of great sites out there, it just takes time to find them :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your website and it is really informative, I am enjoying reading your post. I was wondering if you ordered anything from Wellness Grocer, I looked at their site and they had some good items on their site I was wondering what your experience with them was like and if you would order from them again. Thanks and keep up the good work with this website.

Michele said...

So glad you found me here and that you are enjoying the info. I have not yet ordered from Welness Grocer but I have ordered from a simmilar site (through amazon.com) called Shop Natural and I was very happy with my purchase. I find that most on-line companies like this are reputable and I've been happy with 99% of my on-line purchases.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information, I will check it out. Once again keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hello Michelle. I am glad I found your website. I love it.
I came across your pizza crust recipe and I copied it. What I am wanting to know, is 5 minutes really all the rest that is needed for the dough? If so that is amazing and I cannot wait to try it. My pizza crust recipe rests for 24 hours. O_O
I like a recipe that is quicker because sometimes I don't want to wait that long.

Michele said...

Hi Alli, yes it only takes 5 minutes but I often let it rest up to 30 minutes. It's always great!