Dec 19, 2005

Bounty from TJ's

Today was a very busy one, with Christmas right around the corner we were out and about running errands all day. We did a little splurging for the holiday and one stop on our trip was Trader Joe's. TJ's is one of my favorite stores because of the variety they offer as well as the very reasonable prices. I rarely go there because it's quite a drive from where we live. Here's a list of the goodies I bought today.

Whole Wheat Pita Bread - it was only 99 cents! At our local market it averages $2.75 and the quality is no where near as good as TJ's.

Garlic and Cheddar Cheese Sourdough Bread - I love a good sourdough bread and this one smelled too good to pass up.

Pizza Fixings - ready made garlic and herb pizza dough, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. My 5 year old and 3 year old can't wait to help me make this tomorrow. I couldn't believe that the pizza crust was only $1.09!

Parmigiano -Reggiano Cheese and Organic Chicken Broth - I have been wanting to try to make risotto for a long time now but was hesitant about spending $9 for the Parmigiano-Reggiano at the stores near me, they only offer one size and one price. TJ's had pieces cut in various sizes in various price ranges. I found a nice sized piece for $3.89. Not bad at all! Stay tuned for my first adventure in risotto making. If you have a good recipe to share please post it in the comments.

Tahini - I have been wanting to make hummus from scratch for some time now but there is no tahini to be found anywhere near me. I had a feeling TJ's would have it and they did. Tahini is essentially a sesame seed puree.

Raisins - TJ's has the best raisins, they are so plump, never dry.

Mango Sauce - found this item near the apple sauce. I am thinking a nice tea bread or muffins for this but I'm sure my one year old will eat it as is with no complaints.

Whole Grain Bread - one of my favorites for toast and sandwiches.

Mediterranean Style Yogurt - a nice thick yogurt that doubles for sour cream in any recipe.

21 Seasoning Salute - a salt free seasoning blend with 21 ingredients. Sounds very useful for many dishes and I can't wait to try it.

I should have many new recipes to share in the days to come with all these goodies!

2 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm very jealous. We don't have Trader Joe's in Utah.

Michele said...

Awww :( I sure hope they make it out your way soon!