Dec 14, 2005

Gravy 101



When I was growing up my grandmother always made homemade gravy. She'd use the drippings from a beef roast, some flour, some water and it always came out perfect. I love gravy, but I rarely cook beef roasts... but we love mashed potatoes and gravy with many of our meals... so what to do was the question. It took quite a bit of experimenting but I finally came up with this recipe that is extremely good and reminds me of my grandmother's gravy.

NOTE: The gravy is usually thicker than the picture reflects, I added a bit too much water today. (Note to self... don't try to make gravy with one year old wrapped around your leg.)

Brown Gravy

1 c. cold water
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. Kitchen Boquet browning liquid
1 1/2 tsp. Penzey's beef soup base (or 2 Tbsp. beef bullion granules)
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Whisk 1/2 of the water and corn starch together. Add Kitchen Boquet, onion powder, salt and pepper and whisk well. Set aside. In a small sauce pan, add the rest of water and beef soup base or bullion granules. Heat to medium high, stirring with a whisk until dissolved. Slowly add corn starch mixture while continuing to whisk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir well. Serve immediately.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Ooooooooo, that looks so good.

Andrea said...

You know, I've always considered myself a pretty good cook but have NEVER, not once, been able to make a gravy I was satisfied with. Something is always off, texture, taste, consistency. I'm going to try this and you will have the eternal grattitude of my children if I can pull this off...they love gravy...just not mine. Thanks!

Michele said...

Thanks Sara :)

Drea, it took me a while to come up with this, I hope your kids will like it. You can also use 3/4 c. water and 1/4 c. milk for a more creamy texture. Let me know how yours turns out :)

Anonymous said...

It's really that easy? Who knew?!

Michele said...

LOL Lisa, it really is. I had to find a way... I am totally addicted to gravy.