Jan 13, 2006

Crock Pot Chili #2

Beans are a staple around our house. Be it crock pot chili, red beans and rice or just plain pinto beans, we eat them often. Tonight I made chili, but I used a slight varation on my usual recipe and it was different enough that I thought I would post the recipe. I actually like this version better, the flavor is deeper and richer.

I apologize for the poor photo quality lately, I have been having some problems with my camera and hope to have those resolved by this weekend (need to find time to sit down and read the booklet that came with it, LOL).



Here's my new and improved chili. We prefer ours not to be so spicy because hubby and the kids can't handle it but if you'd like to kick it up some, just add a chopped chili pepper like a jalapeno or habanero.

Crock Pot Chili #2

1 lbs. ground beef
1 c. dry small red beans (cooked)
3. c. water (or cooking liquid from beans)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c. each red, yellow and green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tpsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatos with bell peppers and onions
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1-2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
pinch of brown sugar

Brown ground beef, drain. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Allow to simmer 6 hours on low. Serve topped with cheese and sour cream, with rice or crackers on the side.

5 comments:

Michele said...

CJ, I think you will really enjoy this. It's so easy and you can actually use canned beans if you'd like, just substitute 2 (15 oz) canned beans, drained, for the dry beans.

Anonymous said...

Yum!

Paz

Michele said...

Paz and Aurelia, you should really try this one, I NEVER have leftovers :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michele!

I just found your lovely site and am excited to see you have crock pot recipes! I am planning to buy one (hopefully soon!), and love the fact that I can come visit your site for yummy recipes. Thanks!

Michele said...

So glad you found me Tania! Crock pot are wonderful things! I have a link for some really great crock pot deals to your right on the blog here, take a look there if you're seeking a bargain.