Jan 19, 2006

Ramen Noodle Salad

When I first saw this salad at a gathering we attended recently, I was not so sure I wanted to try it. It didn't look like something I'd like but I gave it a shot. It was SO GOOD! I went home and searched various sources on-line and came up with this recipe that I felt would best duplicate the one I had tired. It is best eaten right after it's made but you can store leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days.

Ramen Noodle Salad

Salad

1 bag of cole slaw mix
3 green onions, diced
1 package Oriental style Ramen noodles, crushed (keep the seasoning)
1/4 c. sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Dressing (make a day ahead for best flavor)

1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 c. honey
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 package dry seasoning from Ramen noodles
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put Ramen noodles in a bowl and add almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Mix greens, noodle mixture and dressing just before serving.

3 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

This is one of our favorites, although we don't use the exact same recipe, my version is more pared down (no fruit either). I just dress mine with sugar, oil, vinegar and the seasoning packet. There are so many variations. My sister uses broccoli-slaw in her version.

Michele said...

Your version sounds really good too! I had no idea this recipe even existed but am so glad I found it!

Michele said...

Tin, I'd love your aunt's recipe as well. I can't believe after all these years I had never heard of this salad, it's really so good!