Jan 8, 2006

Sopita

I come from a very diversely ethnic background...in case you hadn't already noticed from my recipes :) When I was growing up one of the things my mom made for us at lunch time was Sopita. In Spanish Sopita means "little soup". You can add any number of this to this such as chopped cilantro or diced green chilis, bits of meat like shredded chicken, bits of bacon or ground beef. This is the first time I have taken the time to figure out the exact measurements of the ingredients. It's one of those things you just make from memory. This was the first thing I ever learned how to cook.

Sopita

1/2 lb. small pasta such as elbow macaroni, small shells or Fideo
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 Tbsp. Caldo de Pollo or Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin powder
grated cheddar cheese

In a medium sauce pan, heat oil until you see ripples form. Add pasta and spices and stir until fragrant and lightly toasted.

Add tomato sauce and 4 tomato sauce cans full of water.

Bring to a boil, stir then turn down to a simmer. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender. Add a handfull or two of shredded cheddar cheese. Serves 4.

11 comments:

Sara said...

Michele, that sounds absolutly fantastic! Scott would go crazy for this.

Michele said...

Thanks Sara, if can be quite addictive, especially if you add extra cheese ;)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! My nana used to make this for me and I wanted to make it tonight for my hubby! Yours is the only recipe I could find!

Michele said...

Gracias Vicky! I hope you and your husband enjoyed it! :0)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I have to go gluten free for my son and have been looking for a recipe that I can use gluten free pasta with! Thanks again!

Michele said...

Hope you all enjoyed it Heather! I make this so often I could probably do it blind folded, LOL!

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful, your children must look forward to lunch!

Vanessa marie said...

This is how i make mine too except, I use fresh garlic and onions when I brown the shells. Just about 3-4 garlic cloves minced and about half an onion minced. This how my Nana make it, It has a much better flavor.And i like to use olive oil instead of vegtable or canola oil.

Michele said...

I will have to try it that way Vanessa Marie, it sounds wonderful!

Tawny said...

I have those bowls! Haha. I have three in blue and three in yellow. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Been eating this since I can remember and making it now since I could cook. I love it and always will. My husband and four kids also live it. Traditions passed down ��