Feb 18, 2006

Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

I made this Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake today as a treat to take to church with us tomorrow. It smells wonderful and I can't wait to cut into it :) I got the recipe from one of the members on the Cooking Light message boards. .... Thanks Dorothy :)



Lemon Cream Cheese Coffeecake

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free plain yogurt)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used fat free)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup commercially bottled lemon curd
1/2 cup sliced almonds

For Cake: Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and flour 9-inch springform pan or 9 to 10-inch round cake pan.

Combine flour and sugar in medium bowl. cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping. Add sour cream, egg, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda and salt with remaining crumb mixture; blend well. Spread over bottom and 2-inches up sides of prepared pan.

For Filling: Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and large egg in small mixer bowl until smooth. Spread over batter in pan. Spoon curd over filling; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture and almonds.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until cream cheese filling is set and crust is golden brown. Cool slightly on wire rack. To serve, remove side of pan; slice coffee cake into wedges.

Makes 16 servings.

7 comments:

Cinnamon said...

Hmmm that looks good!

Dawna said...

Michele - that looks fantastic! I'm off all baked goods for the moment (health reasons) but I'm printing this baby out for when I can bake again. Yum!

Michele said...

Cinnamon and Dawna,

It was SO GOOD! It tasted really fattning even though I used the fat free yogurt and the fat free cream cheese. This one is a keeper for sure!

Fiber said...

This looks excellent. I can't wait to try it!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

This looks great. Do you think rasperry preserves could be substituted for the lemon curd?

Anonymous said...

I made this for Easter breakfast at church last year....HUGE hit!

A friend just had surgery and requested I make this for her. She's a gourmet cook (I'm definitely not).

Michele said...

Cookbook Junkie, yes I would think so, if you heat it and mix with a little corn starch and water to thicken.

Anonymous, I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe!