Apr 13, 2006

Homemade Tortilla Chips

I giggled to myself recently when I brought some homemade tortilla chips to a gathering we attended and people were shocked that I made them. I never really gave it much thought, I grew up making and eating homemade tortilla chips! They are very easy to make and the taste will make you feel as if you are at a Mexican restaurant. They go great with guacamole or Pico De Gallo.

Homemade Tortilla Chips

1 dozen corn tortillas (or you can use extra small flour tortillas)
canola oil
salt

Cut the tortillas into 4ths. Heat the oil until you see it ripple. Add the chips a few at a time and let fry until golden then turn and fry a few seconds longer(*). Then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Continue until you finish with all the tortillas. Salt them while they are still warm and serve.

(*) You may need to adjust the heat, sometimes flour tortillas need a lower heat and sometimes they will fry too quickly, it will all depend on your pan and the temperature of your stove.

No comments: