Apr 11, 2006

Pineapple Cheesecake Squares

We're off to run some errands today, and I am really hoping to beat the traffic! If you're familiar with Arizona you probably realize that in the past few years it's really growing around here! There has been traffic jams every time we hit the freeways lately. We've got a new sports arena going up on our end of town, lots of new homes and shopping centers. There is even a new enclosed outdoor field where people can go out with their paintball guns. My husband can't wait to give that a try but I think I'll be staying at home for that one! :)

I was just going through my recipes looking for a dessert for Easter. I was so happy to find this recipe which I absolutely love! I found it in a coupon circular in the Sunday newspaper about 15 years ago and it was an instant hit. I think I will make it again this year.

Pineapple Cheesecake Squares

Crust:
2 c. flour
2/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c. almonds, finely shopped and toasted
1/2 c. powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Press firmly into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 x 2 in. pan. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until set.

Filling:
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2/3 c. unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, well drained (reserve 1 c. juice)
1/2 c. heavy cream

Beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 c. sugar and eggs. Stir in 2/3 c. pineapple juice. Pour over crust. Bake just until center is set (about 20 minutes). Cool completely. Mix flour and 1/4 c. sugar in a 2 qt. saucepan. Stir in 1 c. reserved pineapple juice. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Remove from heat and fold in pineapple. Cool completely. Beat whipping cream in chilled bowl until stiff. Fold into pineapple mixture. Spread carefully over dessert. Cover loosely and refrigerate until fir (about 4 hours). Cut into 3 inch squares. Makes 12 squares.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh yum!

Michele said...

They really are Emily, give them a try! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, can't wait to give this a try! LOL